Our School App Stay connected on the go...
- To design an exciting and engaging curriculum that provides regular opportunities for pupils to use and apply the writing and spoken language skills they have acquired from the English Curriculum.
- To create an interest in words and their meanings in order to broaden vocabulary and ability to use it in the correct context.
- For children to write for a purpose and to have clear intentions of the impact of their writing on the reader, through careful planning and consideration.
- To develop a broad range of writing skills that can be applied to a wide range of text types and genres across the whole curriculum.
- For children to be able to articulate their thoughts orally and to be able to use a strong grasp of grammar and spelling to write with confidence and clarity in all subjects.
- Children are taught letters with entry and exit lines from EYFS. They begin to join these letters to form a neat, cursive script in year 2 and all teaching staff model this consistently. It is expected that writing is beautifully presented in all books and for all display work.
It is our intent to build an English curriculum which develops learning and results in the acquisition of knowledge and skills so that all pupils know more, remember more and understand more.
We wanted to design a curriculum with appropriate subject knowledge, skills and understanding in Speech and Language, Reading and Writing as set out in the National Curriculum so that children can know more, remember more and understand more to help them reach and exceed their potential at Valley Invicta Primary School at Holborough Lakes and beyond.
Writing is a crucial part of our curriculum. All children from Foundation Stage to Year 6 are provided with many opportunities to develop and apply their writing skills across the curriculum. Please click on the link to review our Writing and grammar scheme.
With regards to writing, we intend for pupils to be able to plan, revise and evaluate their writing. To be able to do this effectively, pupils will focus on developing effective transcription and effective composition. They will also develop an awareness of the audience, purpose and context, and an increasingly wide knowledge of vocabulary and grammar. We also intend for pupils to leave school being able to use fluent, legible and speedy handwriting.
Please click the link below for information about how we teach progression in writing, year by year.